The potential impacts in Polk County of Hurricane Florence are uncertain but with Polk County Commissioners issuing a Proclamation of a County State of Emergency, being proactive about safety and planning ahead for possible emergency conditions is recommended.
Here are some tips for putting together an emergency kit and information sources for receiving updates and alerts about Hurricane Florence.
EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT ESSENTIALS
When putting together an emergency supply kit, recommended items include the following:
- Water (1 gallon for each person for 3-7 days)
- Food (3-day supply of nonperishable food)
- Special items for babies, the elderly and others who may need additional attention
- Cell phone and charger
- Manual can opener, cooking tools and fuel
- Blankets and pillows
- Seasonal clothes and sturdy shoes
- First aid kit and prescription drugs
- Toiletries and hygiene items
- Disinfectant wipes
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- NOAA Weather radio and extra batteries
- Important documents (in a waterproof bag)
- Filled vehicle fuel tanks
- Pet care items
For more about putting together an emergency supply kit, visit ReadyNC.org.
RESOURCES FOR RECEIVING UPDATES
Polk County Local Government recommends staying updated by regularly checking these sources and signing up for alerts and updates from resources that provide those:
Local TV, Newspaper, Radio and other News Organizations
Automated Text Message Alerts
– For Polk County Emergency and Weather information, text POLKNC to 888-777.
– For World Equestrian Games updates, text WEG2018 to 888-777.
CodeRED Community Notification Enrollment – Sign up at CodeRED.