Per the governor’s latest executive order, North Carolina will remain in the Safer at Home Phase 2 through 5 p.m., Friday, July 17, 2020 to seek to stabilize concerning trends of increasing coronavirus spread.
The order, which takes effect at 5 p.m., Friday, June 26, also mandates that face coverings be worn when people are in public places where social distancing is not possible.
The order also specifies that certain businesses must have employees and customers wear face coverings, including retail, personal care and grooming businesses and restaurants; employees of child care centers and camps; state government agencies under the Governor’s Cabinet; workers and riders of transportation; and workers in construction/trades, manufacturing, agriculture, meat processing and healthcare and long-term care settings.
A face covering does not need to be worn by a worker, customer or patron who meets one of the following exceptions. Someone who:
• Should not wear a face covering due to any medical or behavioral condition or disability (including, but not limited to, any person who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious or incapacitated, or is otherwise unable to put on or remove the face covering without assistance);
• Is under 11 years of age;
• Is actively eating or drinking;
• Is strenuously exercising;
• Is seeking to communicate with someone who is hearing-impaired in a way that requires the mouth to be visible;
• Is giving a speech for a broadcast or to an audience;
• Is working at home or is in a personal vehicle;
• Is temporarily removing his or her face covering to secure government or medical services or for identification purposes;
• Would be at risk from wearing a face covering at work, as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines;
• Has found that their face covering is impeding visibility to operate equipment or a vehicle; and/or
• Is a child whose parent, guardian, or responsible person has been unable to place the face covering safely on the child’s face.
The full order can be read at https://files.nc.gov/…/do…/files/EO147-Phase-2-Extension.pdf. A “Frequently Asked Questions” or FAQs document about the order can be found at https://files.nc.gov/governor/documents/files/EO-147-FAQ.pdf.
People can protect themselves and others against the spread of the coronavirus by following the executive order mandates and remembering “the three Ws” from the NC Department of Health and Human Services:
• Wear a face covering
• Wash your hands for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer
• Wait 6 feet apart from other people to keep your distance