Polk County Emergency Management has issued the following updates on Sept. 15 about the forecast and preparations for Tropical Storm Florence:
– 6 to 8 inches predicted through the storm timeline (2 days)
– Light rain starting around noon/2 p.m.
– Heavy rain starting at midnight tonight
– Rain expected to clear out Monday night
STORM TRACK FORECAST
– Shifting west slightly
– Maximum gusts of up to 40 miles per hour predicted for later today
– WEG Competition scheduled for Sunday has been rescheduled for Monday
– Small crew on site at the Tryon International Equestrian Center for the weather event
LOCAL STORM PREPARATIONS
Emergency Shelter: Polk County opening emergency shelter at 3 p.m. today at Polk County Middle School at 321 Wolverine Trail in Mill Spring. Call 211 for updated shelter information concerning people and their animals.
Emergency Kit Supplies Information: For tips on what supplies to put in an Emergency Supply Kit, visit http://polknc.info/how-to-prepare-get-information-about-hurricane-florence/.
HOW TO RECEIVE UPDATES
Polk County Local Government recommends staying updated by regularly checking these sources and signing up for alerts and updates:
Local TV, Newspaper, Radio and other News Organizations
Automated Text Message Alerts
– For Polk County Emergency and Weather information, text POLKNC to 888-777.
– For World Equestrian Games updates, text WEG2018 to 888-777.
CodeRED Community Notification Enrollment – Sign up at CodeRED.