A Polk County resident has tested presumptive positive for the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
The patient was notified of their positive test after visiting their provider with symptoms of coronavirus. The patient was given self-isolation instructions following notification of their test and remains isolated at home. Polk County Health and Human Services Agency’s Division of Public Health is in contact with the patient to coordinate and monitor the patient’s condition and conduct contact tracing. To protect patient privacy, no further information about this person will be shared.
The Polk County Health and Human Services Agency will keep the public informed about additional cases that may arise. Future confirmed cases will be reflected on our website which will be updated daily by 4 p.m.
Polk County Health and Human Services Agency urges all residents to take measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus:
• Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds at a time.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
• Do not reuse tissue after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
• Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched.
For more information about the coronavirus and to read the latest guidance on keeping yourself and others safe, visit Polk County Local Government’s website, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services website or call the Polk County Message Line 828-722-5086.