To provide residents with convenient options for recycling and to help reduce waste going to the landfill, Polk County’s Mobile Recycling Service offers multiple drop-off locations throughout the county several days a week.
As a service of the Polk County Solid Waste Transfer Station & Recycling Center, Mobile Recycling units are set up to accept recyclables from 7 a.m. to noon these days of the week at the following locations:
• Monday – In Tryon at Harmon Field
• Tuesday – In Saluda at the corner of Ozone Drive and Hwy. 176
• Every other Wednesday – In Green Creek at the Green Creek Fire Dept.
• Thursday – In Columbus on Mills Street across from the Polk County Courthouse
Because Polk County is getting such a tremendous response from residents using the Mobile Recycling Service, the mobile units are sometimes filling up before noon. Once a unit reaches capacity, it must be taken away and emptied. The County regrets any inconvenience this may have caused.
The Mobile Recycling Service operates all days as scheduled except on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Mobile Recycling units also do not operate on any day that Polk County Schools are cancelled because of inclement weather.
People are urged not to leave anything at any of the Mobile Recycling locations unless one of the recycling units is present.
Any garbage bins located at any of the Mobile Recycling sites other than the Polk County Transfer Station are private and therefore are not for use by the public.
All recycling must be removed from bags and be relatively clean. All products should be removed from containers prior to recycling.
Items that may be recycled include:
• Food, beverage or household container cans (metal and aluminum must be separated)
• Plastic food, beverage or household containers if they are plastic types 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7
• Paper food, beverage or household containers
• Glass food and drink containers
• Magazines, newspapers, books and junk mail
• Cardboard (if boxes, preferably broken down)
Items that may not by recycled include:
• Plastics such as those containing antifreeze, automotive oil, pesticide and herbicide
• Plastic bags
• Planting pots
• 5-gallon buckets
• Paint buckets
• Wax paper
• Plastic toys
• Glass other than glass food and drink containers
Recycling attendants at the Mobile Recycling units can help answer questions.
For more information about recycling and waste disposal in the county, call the Polk County Solid Waste Transfer Station & Recycling Center at (828) 894-3737.